About Me

My photo
Welcome Year four to our class blog!I am your Garden Buddy and you will have the chance to take me home and show me around your garden.You can then post blog reflections about our time together.You will also use this blog to communicate with a sister school in Far North Queensland, where you will share your observations and experiments. Bye for now and I look forward to seeing you in class and getting a name!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Google Earth

Google Earth just keeps getting better. It is constantly updating itself and adding new and exciting applications and ways for using it. To the left is a screen shot of what the google Earth site looks like. Interestingly it is actually called Earth.google. I think this is one tool where on first introduction students just need to be let loose and allowed to explore on it and find their streets and houses and friends places etc. before any explicit teaching of or with it is attempted. To the best of my knowledge no advertising appears on this site ( I certainly haven't seen any on my google Earth) so it is relatively safe to allow students to explore on their own. Of course there is always the risk of inappropriate content appearing from the time the google photograph was taken but this is so small and teachers just need to mindful of this and on the lookout.

Teachers downloading google Earth should also make use of the site google Earth for educators which provides a comprehensive list of ways to use google earth in the classroom including suggestions for each key learning area and lesson plans.

Some of my favourite ways to incorporate this tool into the classroom are:
  • Exploring literature through google earth, flying between places mentioned in books. My Prac class is currently studying Australian animals so I am looking forward to doing Possum Magic by Mem Fox with them. You can check this out on Google Lit Trips here.
  • Using real time coordinates to demonstrate distance calculations in a maths lesson
  • Studying Earthquakes using google Earth layers to study tectonics

I'd love to hear some other interesting ideas on how to use this tool in the primary classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment